Monday, February 9, 2009

Oh did ur house smell like feet?


OK So if u're a mexican u know a staple at home are beans, frijolitos. Frijoles con huevos, frijoles con arroz, frijoles y carne, frijoles con frijoles.. I mean... we ALWAYS have frijoles at the house. Ok so now that I'm pretty much set up I've started my hunt for beans. And this is what I found..... 
The local beans here....... They don't sell pinto beans, I asked my friend if she knew what they were.. its Kinda hard to describe beans i mean what am i going to say? oval shaped beans light brown with darker stains on them.. i dunno...I TRIED, MANY WAYS, oh and black beans.. she was amazed at that, never seen them before!! Well we looked and looked and finally I was like just show me how u guys make your beans. They call it ful and I tried some at one restaurant they were actually tasty. So i buy 1/4 of a kilo of these, you have to let them soak supposably for 3 hrs, she said, but online It says all night... I followed her advice, then boil them like our beans.
And this is how they look...
 eww... and my flat stunk... I called my mom and she said ohh their 'avas'... and her friend who was there, was like ohhh did ur house smell like feet? Yea.. it did. They knew exactly what I was talking about. My home smelled nasty. So i gave up on them for today.

 I just want some pinto beans.... Tomorrow I'm going to try again, my mom told me a good way to prepare them, crossing fingers... hope it works. I'm sure i'll have to have them refritos so they wont look so uglay.

OTHER RANDOM FOOD ITEMS.... I like the bottles.
Coca Cola.. its real good! I think its better than the states. It's not as sweet.. more gassy =/ lol jk. its good.


And here's the milk its called laban in Arabic. The brand is "Labanita"
They sell milk in boxes but ewww and like the real stuff in the streets... but also....ewww..

I'm still on the hunt for real Jalapenos... I made salsa today to go along with Carnita and delicious flour tortillas... (which i'm so happy about, because yesterday I tried to make them and they came out horrible it was very dissapointing, something about the flour made them stiff and yucky...) but =/ these peppers were not cutting it. I mean I could get used to them but still....you know.. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahaha..girl i know how you feel!!!
    so about the beans..here we have a store called the american dollar stores..it's really 2 dollars..anyways..Mrs.Crista and I go in there and go on the hunt for things..and the other day she found bean dip..man i was so happy..girl i open that can and made some re-fried beans..so you might want to look for a store that sometimes sell american things..i mean come on you have every other place..all we have is kfc..and mcd..and i think pizza hut..i'm not for sure..and about the coke..i totally agree..i think it's better than the coke back at home..
    now the milk..we drink from the box and i have had it straight from the cow..just make sure they boil the crap out of it!!lol if not you will get sick..i haven't..and it's not that bad..
    girl i love you and your blogs..every time i read i'm like yes..i know how you feel..
    i love you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete