Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Woman's Worth... Set your worth.

I visited a friend last night. She asked me if I have a boyfriend, or if there was someone that I was "talking" with. She wanted to know if I'd be willing to marry a local, hoping that I would, so that I could stay here.... I told her... no there's not one, neither here nor in America. Anyways.... after sharing a little of my story, I asked her about herself. I don't know if to be happy or sad. Mostly my heart does break, for what she shared with me... I will now tell it to you as if it is her speaking.

-"When I was 19, my mom's friend saw me, and then she spoke to my mom about her son and how he was looking for a wife. He was ready to get married and she liked me for him. So my mom asked me, and I said, ok, no problem, we can meet them. So we met them as a family, we had dinners, and sometimes him and I would go on our own to get to know each other better. He was very nice and kind, and hardworking. So after some time, he talked to my mom and we all got together to arrange the engagement. When we get engaged, the culture is that He must give to the girl gold, however much she asks for. I asked him for this much, and he said he coudn't he only wanted to give me half of what I asked. I gave him 2 choices, he could either give me what I asked him for or I would not accept to marry him. Jazzy, I know he could give me what I asked for, I was not asking too much, he just didnt want to spend this on me. But if he didnt want to give me what I asked for, then he does not love me! He said he could not give me what I asked him for, and so I told him, from now on I am only your sister.

-After a year or so, he called my mom and he told her that he wanted to marry me. He said he would give what we asked from him. My mom spoke with me, she said he was a good man, and he had a good job, but Jazzy, I did not feel the same for him. I also now thought different. I thought, i'm 19 he's 32... when I am young he will be old! I dont want that, he had his chance and he did not want to provide for me. If he loves me he will sacrifice and provide for me. So this is it, this is all. Now there is no one, we will see.... "

While she told me this... I couldn't help but remember the woman with the alabaster box.
I coudn't help but ask myself, how does one set a price on oneself?
How did she come up with this price?
How did she feel when she found out that the man who said he loved her, wasn't willing to pay the price she put on herself?

I ask myself how much am I worth? and God says, your worth my life.

-"Jazzy, I don't think there is anyone who loves me this much...."

YES! there is.... remember, He has loved you with an everlasting love...

-"Everlasting? It means that it will never end? Wow!!"

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! What a great but sad story. I have heard others like this and you are right it breaks our hearts! I pr she know this true love from our Dad!

    ReplyDelete