Monday, March 23, 2009

Insha allah

So, ppl use insha allah all the time here. It stands for "Lord Willing" Some say its basically saying  I'll see what happens, or how I feel. Just to avoid saying "NO" and possibly shaming the other person. 

Its become a part of my new vernacular, it took a while, you know, let your yes be yes and your no be no, but well in this culture I think they'd prefer an insha allah instead of a No, its a whole honor/shame thing, and saving face. I use it, at least when haggling, insha allah I will buy this from you at this price, or return later. 

But anyways. Last night I took a taxi, for a non-local, the price would be like 3 pounds, but ofcourse I say about 5, he says ok, I get in, and he says insha allah 7. I say ok, insha allah, soon after we get out, i give him 5, it wasn't even far.... he said no, 7, I used my arabic, YAY, and told him you told me 5, and he said... i said insha allah 7. So I learned a new meaning for insha allah. 

"These ppl with their mouths, they honor me, but their hearts are far away from me." 
- The Creator

No comments:

Post a Comment